The Companies (Amendment) Bill 2017 was gazetted in June 2017 (Please see our update of June 2017) and has been recently passed. The Companies (Amendment) Ordinance 2018 (‘the Amendment Ordinance’) will come into effect on 1 March 2018 without transition period. The Amendment Ordinance introduces new requirement to keep a Significant Controllers Register (‘SCR’) by applicable companies either in English or Chinese.
With effect from 1 March 2018, every non-listed HK company is required to:
- take reasonable steps to identify the company’s significant controller(s)
- notify anyone who is believed to be the company’s significant controller and anyone who may know the identity of such significant controller and obtain the required particulars for entering into the SCR
- keep the SCR, including the required particulars of the company’s significant controllers, up-to-date
- appoint a designated representative to provide assistance relating to the company’s SCR to a law enforcement officer
How can we help?
We can assist you in matters in relation to compiling and maintaining the SCR:
- providing advice and guidance on the duties and obligations of the company and its directors under the Amendment Ordinance
- assisting in identifying the significant controllers
- sending out the notices on your behalf
- preparing the SCR with the returned notices
- providing ongoing maintenance of your SCR
- acting as a designated representative of your company