Ted Osborn is a partner based in Hong Kong and is the leader of our Restructuring and Insolvency practice. He has been based in Hong Kong since 1995 acting for debtors, bank groups, bondholder groups and investors. Over the last few years, Ted has spent much of his time providing advice in relation to debt recovery from troubled China situations, NPL acquisitions and other China investment situations. Ted is also acting in a number of complex Estate Administration matters.
Ted has extensive experience in Hong Kong and PRC workout practices and procedures, and has led numerous workouts of Hong Kong listed groups and PRC entities. His major experience includes:
- Assisting investment banks, hedge funds and other investor groups with their financial due diligence and recovery actions in relation to investments in China;
- Acting as one of the Receivers of a group of companies in China, a complex restructuring involving nearly US$1bn of debt and a diverse group of stakeholders including local government participation, onshore domestic and foreign lenders, offshore noteholders and lenders and a PRC Bankruptcy Administrator;
- Acting as one of the Receivers for lenders in the restructuring matter. A successful resolution was obtained based on a strategy we employed to bring the company’s Chairman back to the negotiating table;
- Acting in relation to the Administration of a large Hong Kong property and hotels group;
- Advising a window company of the Zhuhai Municipal People's Government in its US$700mil debt restructuring; and
- Advising an investment arm of the Guangzhou Municipal People's Government on its US$1bn restructuring of its foreign indebtedness.
Ted is a frequent contributor to the Asian Wall Street Journal and other publications, and has appeared on CNN, CNBC and Bloomberg TV providing his opinion on the China NPL and distressed debt markets.